Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A PERSONAL SANCTUARY

My sanity requires a personal sanctuary. Traditionally, that has always been my living room. It is the place where I focus my decorating energies. Everything placed in that room is strategically chosen to enhance the overall ambience. Typically, I ensure that the room is equipped with various lighting options, from candlelight to bright light and natural light. Access to music is essential; a television is not. The decor generally includes objects from Nature (rocks, plants, seashells, dried floral arrangements, etc.), spiritual icons, and possessions of personal significance. A comfortable thow for naps is also a must. And above all, it is perpetually clean. It is not a place for un-used, misplaced, homeless possessions.

While my sanctuary is where I retreat, relax, and let go, it is also where I entertain. It is the room visitors all experience, so it is vital that it is true to who I am; a reflection of me. It must be as comfortable and inviting as it is functional and practical. And I've been without one for over five years now. Is it any wonder I often feel listless, homesick, and spend far too much time in Cyberspace?

Admittedly, I am self-absorbed, introspective, and enjoy my solitude. Still, I am equally social and enjoy the company of good friends and those I love most. In fact, all people are interesting and I can usually find some value in even the scum of the earth. My need for solitude is not based on an inherent dislike of people. Yet, I am most content, most relaxed, and most at peace when I am afforded the time and space to live within the confines of my mind, preferrably in an environment that is aesthetically pleasing to my personal taste.

In all my adult years, this is the first time where the closest thing I have to a personal sanctuary is my bedroom, and even that falls short. So creating a living room / sanctuary has become an urgent priority. My sanity demands it because, after all, when Mama's not happy, no one is happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment