Sunday, May 15, 2011

TORN BETWEEN TWO LOVES

In a previous post in my Tarot blog, I addressed The Lovers card, my lesson card for the month of May that will help me with my year-long Tarot lesson related to the Wheel of Fortune card. I wrote: "the Wheel of Fortune may throw down sudden, unexpected twists of fate - for better or worse - it still remains up to me to determine how to respond to what Life offers." This facet of the Wheel and how the Lovers may relate is becoming all too clear.

Although it has not been officially confirmed yet, it appears that I may be without funding to pursue my Master's degree in counseling as planned. IF that is true, I will need to move on to Plan B - after grieving the loss of yet another dream.

And I DO have a Plan B, but at the moment, my heart is not wrapped around it.

I have often said that, had I known myself better when I was very young, I would have pursued a career as a funeral director, and my recent interest in the Green Funeral Movement is evidence of that innate interest. So, Plan B involves getting involved in the funeral industry. While I am qualified to work as a funeral attendant, I am thinking that I'd like to tweak that occupation to be more of a funeral planner. While I can envision myself working, in the traditional sense, as a funeral attendant, my vision takes that vocation and builds upon it.

The funeral industry is at a pivotal point. As the Baby Boomer generation approaches their demise, and as the desire and demand for more environmentally friendly funeral practices increases, our funeral rites will begin to evolve. Baby Boomers will want more personalized funerals; they generally do NOT want their grandmother's funeral. Rather than the typical, generic, formal, religious-based services, they are more likely to want a different ambience - one that reflects their lives, musically and aesthetically. I believe I can help orchestrate that. And for those who are more dedicated to not harming the Earth and wanting more Earth-friendly end-of-life care, I believe I can provide that too, with the help of qualified, professional morticians and funeral directors.

I DO have a vision, and while I believe I could certainly succeed in this role, currently, my heart is still fondly wrapped around the desire to be a licensed counselor. A fork in the road seems to be looming on my horizon. I may be torn between two loves and I may be called upon to make a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment